Wednesday, July 27, 2011

His Holy Name: Sovereign

His Holy Name: Sovereign


"How great you are, O Sovereign Lord: There is no one like you.  We have never even heard of another God like you."
2 Samuel 7: 22 NLT
God's Sovereignty is something I really couldn't grasp my head around.  I don't think that I will ever truely get "God's" concept of how great He is!  It's because I am human, and He is God, we will never fully understand the fullness of Him.  But He is God and He does make it simpler for us...
He tells us "I am the I am" 
Wow, I am so in awe of everything He is.  To me, His Sovereignty encompasses ALL that He is! That's the trippy part of it~All - everything, never ending, eternal, righteous, beginning and the end, ect...cuz I can go on and on!

As I reread my scripture and the story behind the verse, my mind is blown away again!
These verses prior to my verse tells us about David winning against the Phillistines. As he returns to the City of David, he is dancing, praying, and worshiping as he brings the Ark of God home. 
At home he realizes that he is living in a posh palace while the Ark of the Lord is in a tent. 
 He then sends for Nathan and shares with him this new dilema. 
God reveals to Nathan his future plans for Kind David. 

Pretty much God tells Nathan ~ "I've had it good, I've lead my people out of Egypt and I've always lived in a tent - cloud by day, fire by night - so tell David, I'm all good.  Now, David's gonna trip because he's gonna have a nicer posh palace, a dynasty of kings, and he's gonna be lengend - wait for it - ary! (for those who watch How I Met Your Mother - Barney Stinston).  My homeboy David has been a sheepherder as a boy, as a man, a King.  He's gonna have an heir to the throne who will build my temple. A carpenter to say the least.  I will secure his royal throne forever. 
King David's lineage will forever be known because of ME."

As Nathan shares God's message, David does trip out because he realizes who he is and who God really is.  He then gives God glory and worships him.  My favorite verse is this:

Then King David went in and sat before the Lord and prayed,
"Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?"
2 Sam. 7: 18

See, we are merely nothing without Our Heavenly Father.  He chose US to be a part of His family ~ the Sovereignty part is this: He knew us before we sinned, while we sinned, and after our sinning.  His grace is there because of His Sovereignty and Love.

My all time favorite chapter:
*Psalms 139*
My all time favorite verses:
*vs. 17-18*

Take time out to reflect on God's Sovereignty today.

No comments:

Post a Comment